Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Movement Standards

I read a pretty good article this morning from an affiliate talking about the movement standards at the Regional Qualifier for the CrossFit Games. The judges thought some of the standards were a little over kill and stupid, as did the athletes. But it wasn't up to the them to decide, the judges were there to enforce the standard, the athletes were there to adapt to, meet and overcome the standard.

Standards aren't there just to make your life miserable, or to be a jerk. They are there because range of motion (ROM) is key. If you aren't getting the right ROM you aren't going to get the right stimulus, therefore you won't get the right response or adaptation. You could very well be setting yourself up for injury by doing it incorrectly. Or perhaps the limited ROM is due to mobility issues that should be dealt with and solved instead of ignoring them.

ROM modifications might be due to an existing injury, and that is ok but on a case by case basis, if you have an injury that needs modifications that's something we would discuss. (I need to know!)

I know I have a tendency to be a little to empathetic to the suffering of CrossFitters, I know what this stuff feels like, I do it too. But don't get mad if I take reps away, or enforce a standard you might think is stupid. There really is a good reason for it, I'm not just being a jerk. It's for your own good and so forth.

WOD
21-15-9 reps for time of:
Burpees
Pull-ups

No comments:

Post a Comment