Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sign up... compete!

That's all it takes to really light a fire under your ass and focus your training. After we moved back here and I was back to training by myself in my garage, I lost focus. Coupled with all the stress of moving halfway across the country, and adapting to a new house, new job, etc... and my training fell apart.

I wasn't consistent, my nutrition dissolved into anarchy. It was a mess.

Once the Kettlebell classes started up and I had new people to share my training knowledge and experience with I found a new spark for training.

Then I heard about an Olympic Weightlifting and CrossFit competition in Moose Jaw. I thought about it for a few days, hummed and hawed about whether or not I should... Then I finally pulled the trigger and signed up.

Let me tell you nothing I've done has improved my focus, and my drive for training like filling out and submitting an online form signing up to compete. It's out there, you can go to their site and see my name on the list of registered competitors. There is no backing out now, time to put up or shut up.

Snatching

I enlisted the help of my friend and coach, Guy Greavette, back out in BC. He's an Olympic Weightlifting coach, and knows his stuff. He competed in the Olympics a few times, trained our lifters that went over to Beijing in the last Olympics and everything.

With him programming my workouts I can't cherry pick the things I like doing, while avoiding doing the hard things I might not like, but need to do in order to improve my weaknesses. I also feel like I can't quit and give up, say "it's too hard, I can't do that" because I don't want to let him down. He has a plan to help me reach my goals, all I have to do is bust my ass and follow it. If I can't be bothered to do that then I'm wasting his time and mine. And I'm not about to do that.

I'll let you all know who my training is going and how I do at the contest. If anyone else is interested in competing just let me know and we'll get it sorted out. Time is getting short tho, the contest is on May 14th in Moose Jaw (link under "events" on the right side of our site here...)

There are really kind of 2 events, a standard Olympic Weightlifting contest, 3 attempts each at the Snatch and Clean & Jerk, as well as a CrossFit WOD competition, As many rounds in 10 minutes of 100m sprints, power snatches and pull-ups.

You don't need to sign up for a lifting event, or a CrossFit event, or even anything "serious"... It could just be signing up for a 5k "fun run" or something. But the lesson here is sign up for SOMETHING. Put your ass on the line, set a goal, and do whatever if takes to achieve it.

My sister signed up for a 10k run and has been following my coaching without question (which is a shock because some of the things I've made her do were questionable... lol) and she has already hit her original goal of running 10k in an hour, and she still has time before the race to get faster.

If you're on the fence about signing up for something it's time to get off. Sign up. It's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment